Monday, April 2, 2012

Values and Choices- Peer Pressure

On multiple occasions did I witness peer pressure. However of the many times their is one occasion I remember clearly and descriptively. This peer pressure forced a friend of mine to commit an action that left her with a physical scar that she will have to bare and remember the rest of her life.

One day my friends and I headed towards the climbing cave as we do every other day. When one of my friends (All names will be kept confidential) climbed up on to the roof of the cave using the nails sticking out along with gripping the side. After a short while my friend got up to the top. "Come on guy's, try to get up!" My friend said. "No, I don't think that it's a good idea." I said. "Don't be a chicken my friend standing next to me said. "No, I aint going up their." I said. "Fine then." she replied in a tone that a little kid would use when throwing a tantrum. With that short conversation she turned and started for the wall. "Don't." I said cautioning her. "If you go up there and slip the nail's gonna cut you." Giving me a evil look, she ignored my words of advice and headed up.

I watched her ascend up the wall nervously. "God, she going to fall." I thought. Palms sweating I continued to watch. Just as she was reaching the top I heard a squeak from her shoe as she lost her footing and began to slide down the ramp. I could only watch as she had brought this fate upon herself. She slid down and on the way had a nail cut her in a line along her left thigh.

Rather quickly she reached the bottom of the short ramp. She was looking at her leg as I was. It was red not bleeding but most of the first layer of skin was gone. I didn't speak a word as she let out a small grunt. I only looked at her. Her eyes were glossy as they screamed in pain. Her eyes spoke but not her lips. Not a word came out. Not a tear dripped from her face. Too stubborn to let out a wimper of word of distress she said nothing trying to hide her pain. Unfortunately and for once in my life, my prediction was accurate.

I still remember that moment vividly. My only regret is that I hadn't been forceful enough. I hadn't even attempted to make an effort to stop her. My only words to her were, "Don't" and I feel as if it is part my fault because as much as it seems I was warning her, deep down I know if I worked at it I could have stopped her and she wouldn't have hurt herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment